Saturday, November 22, 2014

Resurrection of Life vs Resurrection of Condemnation



JOHN 5:24-30---- The Gospel read at Orthodox Funerals

Life and Judgment Are Through the Son

24 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life. 25 Most assuredly, I say to you, the hour is coming, and now is, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God; and those who hear will live. 26 For as the Father has life in Himself, so He has granted the Son to have life in Himself, 27 and has given Him authority to execute judgment also, because He is the Son of Man. 28 Do not marvel at this; for the hour is coming in which all who are in the graves will hear His voice 29 and come forth—those who have done good, to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of condemnation. 30 I can of Myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge; and My judgment is righteous, because I do not seek My own will but the will of the Father who sent Me


I had the great privilege and honor to have participated in the Orthodox Funeral service for the Hiermonk John Hardenbrook, the father of our beloved Ft. Thaddaeus from St. Lawrence Orthodox Church in Felton, California.
Father John was a Christian in the truest sense of the word.  Without going into what he has accomplished in this posting (would actually need a book to do so), it is sufficient to say he has lived entirely for Christ and by default, for His people.  Ft. John was a servant’s servant; the wellbeing and concern (spiritual, physical, or otherwise) of others was his life’s focus in the Light of Christ.
In his Homily, Ft. Thaddaeus said a phrase that I have been chewing on all night.  To paraphrase (not sure if I have the wording exactly right): In death,  Whatever we have done for ourselves will pass away into utter oblivion, but whatever we have done for others, will accompany us into eternity…..”
At the moment of hearing this very true Orthodox teaching about the falling asleep of the body, I was immediately beset with such overwhelming and mixed emotions.  On one hand, I was overjoyed that this servant of God has indeed done good and lived for others, thereby bringing consolation to all that his memory will be blessed.  On the other hand, as I stood so close to such a Christian that has now begun his journey to life everlasting, I couldn’t help but to reflect on my own shortcomings and self-centeredness.
The thoughts rushed in like lava spewing from a volcano: What good have I really done for others? Why am I always so preoccupied with my own welfare and when it’s convenient for me or at the right time, then and only then do I think of others? How do I become like Father John, and every other faithful servant of Christ who devoted their entirety to the building of the Kingdom and the saving of souls?
I was gleefully ecstatic with joy for Father John and at the very same time, ashamed of myself!
God gives us many,  many opportunities and situations to reflect, learn, and make changes in our lives to better conform ourselves to His Image; and yesterday was one of those heavenly whispers for me.
We must all ask ourselves some core Life questions:  Who am I really serving—God, the world ,or myself? How am I using the precious gift of time that He has given me--- for His glory or my own?
And it was this very thought of limited time that kept resonating in my soul.  We are all given only so much time to cultivate our heart and soul to produce spiritual fruit.  And like a thief in the night, our Lord and Saviour will call us, when—I don’t know, but sooner then we all want or expect, that I am sure. 
The above scripture says the time has now come that those who hear the Voice of the Son of God will live.  I want to live!!!  I want to be alive in Christ now, so that I may enter to the resurrection of Life (not the resurrection of condemnation) when he comes for me.  I want to live in the land of the Living, where all the choir angels and saints sing endless hymns and praises.  I want to be in HIS presence today and unto the ages of ages--- and I want this for all of you.
But I must first commit to the path of salvation:  to that tireless journey of Becoming like HIM so that I may be HIM to others, to the constant listening for His precious voice calling me into deeper waters, to that nudging of the Holy Spirit calling me out of my comfort zone so that He may fill me with more grace, more love, more forgiveness and compassion. To that life of living for others and not myself, to the laying down my life for my friend as He has laid down His Life for me, to the very life that the Gospel of Jesus call us all to--- love the Lord God with all you soul, with all your mind, with all your heart, with all your strength AND love your neighbor as yourself---in this is fulfilled all the commandments!
This was the high calling that Father John reached and aspired for.  And may this also be our lot as well so that we may see him again in the Resurrection of Life.
May his memory be eternal! 
Your servant in the King of Glory,
Ft. Spyridon

No comments:

Post a Comment