Monday, November 24, 2014

Holy Thanksgiving-- Eucharistic Living


THANKSGIVING


Great are You, O Lord, and marvelous are Thy works, and no word is sufficient to Hymn Thy Wonders!



What a glorious time we have in front of us.  The entire nation is stopping for a day for “Thanksgiving”.  I do not believe there is any other word that depicts our Orthodox Faith any better nor the state that ones’ soul needs to be in to begin the journey of holiness.  Thanksgiving is one of those days, that Orthodox Christianity needs to take hold of and transform it back to its original Christian roots (of truly thanking God for all things), from its current secularized display of turkey and football.


Thanksgiving is not so much a day for feasting but rather a day of gratitude to our Almighty Lord, for all we have, especially the very blessed circumstance we all find ourselves in that we are actually able to feast---for as we know, most of the world is living under the yoke of evil tyranny with war, fear, and starvation a daily reality. 


Living Eucharistically



We have a holy opportunity that we alone are in a unique spiritual position to actualize;   transform thanksgiving to a day that is a True Feast in our Church and throughout this great land.  Eucharist comes from the Greek word which means thanksgiving. In a particular sense, the word describes the most important form of the Church's attitude towards life itself.  We gather to celebrate the Eucharist, but must come already prepared in a state of perpetual Thanksgiving to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; praising God in complete gratitude for all things, so that He may be all things for us.


I call upon us all in this Holy Season of Advent to set the eyes of our souls upon the coming New Born King.  I urge us all, to reflect deeply upon the most precious gift that we have, our Lord Jesus Christ, and begin to shout with Joy and Thanksgiving, for the Life-giving water that he quenches our thirst with.  I implore this holy community of St. Peter and Paul to take this Divine state of living Eucharistically, to every corner of our neighborhood in the East Bay; displaying in word and deed, to whom all thanksgiving should be directed to--- Jesus our King and our God.


A Prayer


So what better way to celebrate Thanksgiving----- but to give thanks.



  1. I thank You Lord Jesus for the life giving and precious gift of the Eucharist for the healing of my soul and body, for the remission of my sins and for life everlasting.
  2. I thank You Lord Jesus for my family, my parish spiritual family, and all those that love me and even those that hate me.
  3. I thank You Lord Jesus that we are living in a land of peace and pray that Your Divine Peace may soothe this war torn world from its misery so that all may rejoice in your Love.
  4. I thank You Lord Jesus for our health, giving us the ability to be a laborers  in Thy Holy Vineyard, praying that many vocations to the priesthood and diaconate are brought forth from our community as sweet and precious spiritual fruit to be lifted upon thy Altar.
  5. I thank You Lord Jesus for the multitude and countless blessings that I do not see and appreciate, but long to understand when I come into thy Kingdom.
  6. I thank You Lord Jesus for knowing you, your Love, your Forgiveness, and your mercy; unworthy though I be
  7. I thank You Lord Jesus for the many co-laborers in thy Vineyard that You have sent me; without them, this parish would not be here.  Keep them, protect them, and guard them all under Thy shelter.
  8. I thank You Lord Jesus for the struggles and trying times that I am enduring, knowing very well that you chastise and prune those you love.  I submit myself to Thy Holy Shears and pray that you graft me unto Thy life giving VINE.
  9. I thank You Lord Jesus and Praise Thy most precious Name, a name beyond all names, a name that brings Healing and Joy, a Name that every heart and knee will bend, a Name above all names, a Name that brings forgiveness and consolation to our wearied souls.  May I glorify thy holy Name all the days of my life.
  10. I thank You Lord Jesus for the ministry that You allow me to share and partake in, may You forever transform me into Thy image and likeness  in the hopes that one day I may be called a worthy servant as you usher me into thy Presence.


With this overwhelming feeling of gratitude I bid you all a HOLY THANKSGIVING a day of  Eucharistic Living, so that we may worthily partake of the Life giving MANNA and never hunger again.


I ask you all to pen some of your own prayers and send them in so we can post it in our new Blog.  Let this be a family affair.  Parents gather your children, discuss the blessings from above in your life, and write out your thanksgiving prayers and submit them it.


Asking for your prayers, and assuring you of mine!


With much Thanksgiving to Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,


Ft. Spyridon

1 comment:

  1. We thank you God for our talents.
    It is by those talents we become more like the "image of God".
    You are the artist and the designer of this world.
    You mixed all the colors of the underwater world and the sunset skies.
    You know our anatomy and psychology more than any doctor would ever know.
    You are the musician in nature and the caregiver of all creation.
    Your fatherly love for us is more than all mothers and fathers combined can ever love and care for their children.
    Your endless goodness couldn't possibly be in one human, it had to be distributed in millions of talents over all humans.
    Those talents help us enjoy the gift of life that you gave us, and help us serve others in your name.
    Those talents help us become together one perfect body, one church.
    We love and thank you God for the joy you put in our hearts and the intellect you put in our minds to better understand you and become more like you and closer to you.

    Please give us your wisdom to better use those talents.
    Amen

    ReplyDelete